|Vacancy Announcement No:||AAS/FA/17/013|
|Position Title:||Financial Accountant|
|Position Location:||Nairobi, Kenya|
|Reporting to:||Head of Finance|
|Organisation:||African Academy of Sciences|
|Duration:||3 Years Renewable|
|Closing date:||17th November 2017|
The AAS is a pan African organisation headquartered in Kenya, which aims to drive sustainable development in Africa through science, technology and innovation. It has a tripartite mandate of pursuing excellence by recognising scholars and achievers; providing advisory and think tank functions for shaping the continent’s strategies and policies; and implementing key Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) programmes that impact on developmental challenges through the agenda setting and funding platform, the Alliance for Accelerating Excellence in Science in Africa (AESA).
Financial Planning Process
- Ensure timely preparation of the institutional budget by collaborating with the program teams, operations teams and finance team and ensuring that the final approved budgets are posted into the systems
- Part of the team in the institutional budget revision process
- Management of the budget vision, and support budget holders during the budgeting process Ensure that budget holders are provided with the status of their budgets through regular budget monitoring and control by regularly providing them with budget versus actuals reports Be the champion on risk management for the finance unit. Identify any potential risk and advice accordingly for appropriate action
- Ensure that the finance staff are aware of the potential risks and conform to the Risk Management Policy and Procedures Manual
- Lead in ensuring that the Financial policy and procedures manual is implemented and adopted for all processes within the unit, and ensuring that the policy is regularly updated to ensure conformity.
Management and board reports
- Timely preparation of board reports for presentation by the Head of Finance
- Monthly preparation of management reports of restricted and unrestricted funds for financial analysis for management decision making.
- Preparation of the audit financial statements and supporting schedules
- Coordinate and manage the institutional interim and final audits and ensure that they are conducted within the set timelines. Ensure that all information is provided to the auditors on a timely basis. Ensure smooth completion of the audit
- Tracking and ensuring implementation of the audit findings and recommendation on both the institution and on programs audit within the set timelines
- Oversee institutional audits within the Pan African partners organisation.
- Ensure the cost allocation policy is implemented. Work closely with the programme team to ensure the project budgets are fully utilised
- Advise budget holders and finance team on cost allocation, and ensure organisation is on track on cost recovery
- Oversee the core budget and ensure that expenditure is a core cost and is within the budget.
Accounting software (Navision) administration
- Administration of the accounting software through creation of new dimensions, supplier and consultants accounts, new bank accounts, new grantees, and new GL accounts.
- Creation of validation/business rules to improve on controls and ensure data integrity in Navision.
- Currency changes as advised by the Treasury Team and ensure monthly revaluations are carried out.
- Work with the IT systems administrator to ensure generation of the standard reports and designing new reporting template as may be required by the stakeholders.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- A university degree in Commerce, Accounting, Business Administration or related field;
- Full accounting qualification i.e. CPA, ACCA or equivalent.
- At least three to five years of working with financial/accounting experience in a major international organisation/NGO.
- Demonstrable skills in the development of finance and accounting policies, procedures and systems in the context of an international NGO.
- Good knowledge of fund accounting including reporting requirements of major donor agencies.
- Hands-on knowledge of the major ERP softwares would be a distinct advantage.
The position is open to qualified candidates who can work in Kenya. Applicants must email a completed application form from the AAS website, a detailed curriculum vitae with a list of referees and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the Position and Vacancy Number as the Subject by 17th November 2017. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.